Record Store Day Drops 2020 - Sept 26
The Palace at 3AM is the first (and only) collaboration between the late Jay Bennett and his songwriting partner, Edward Burch. After fronting Minneapolis legends Titanic Love Affair from 1994-2001 Bennett was a key member of the band Wilco, often co-writing songs on the band's early releases with Jeff Tweedy. The power struggle was well documented in the Wilco documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart in which Bennett was fired as the cameras rolled. The band was working on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot at the time. Bennett immediately teamed up with Burch and The Palace at 4am was released on the same street date in 2002 as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Hardcore Wilco fans loved the release and immediately started making comparisons on who was the real 'genius' of Wilco, Bennett or Tweedy. Bennett passed away suddenly in 2009 and with the blessings of his family, ten years after his death Schoolkids Records has teamed up with Edward Burch to release The Palace at 4am for the first time ever on vinyl for RSD 2020. The album also includes the track "My Darlin'" which was also on Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, re-recorded by Bennett for this release. Limited edition cloudy clear vinyl, 2xLP gatefold. Download card included
1. Puzzle Heart 2. Talk to Me 3. Whispers or Screams 4. Shakin' Sugar 5. C.T.M. 6. Drinking on Your Dime 7. My Darlin' 8. No Church Tonite 9. Fireworks 10. Forgiven 11. Like a Photograph 12. Venus Stopped the Train 130 California 14. Little White Cottage 15. It Hurts
A re-issue of The Black Crowe’s “Jealous Again” 12” vinyl single to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the iconic Shake Your Money Maker album. Features the hit single “Jealous Again” on Side A, backed with “Waitin’ Guilty” and “Thick N’ Thin” on Side B.
SIDE A –
1. Jealous Again (Album Version)
SIDE B –
1. Waitin’ Guilty 2. Thick N’ Thin (Album Version)
Solomon Burke was an American preacher and singer who shaped the sound of rhythm and blues as one of the founding fathers of soul music in the 1960s. Originally released in 1976, Back To My Roots was his debut album on the legendary Chess Records label, a well-known imprint devoted to the best Blues, R&B, Funk and Soul music. After a long stint on Atlantic and MGM Records, Solomon Burke signed for Chess to work with the wonderful producer Herman Rush who wrote and produced this sensational album.
This release for Record Store Day is its first repress since the original 1976 release.
SIDE A –
1. Burning For Your Love 2. Night And Day 3. Everybody’s Got To Cry Sometime 4. I’m Going Back To My Roots
SIDE B –
1. Precious Flower 2. The Do Right Song 3. Life Has It’s Ups And Downs 4. Over And Over (Hugging And Loving) 5. I’ll Never Stop Loving You
The release of the two remarkable 1965 New York Concerts performances offer a rare and revelatory glimpse into that discographic dark period. This captivating double LP set would be valuable solely for the brilliant music, which finds Giuffre leading otherwise undocumented trio and quartet line-ups that advance his experiments in counterpoint and abstraction from the chamber-like Free Fall into even more adventurous avant-garde territory. But it also offers much-needed insight into one of jazz’s most innovative thinkers at a key moment in his development. 180-gram vinyl.
LP1 / SIDE A –
1. Syncopate 2. Introduction 3. Crossroads
LP1 / SIDE B –
1. Drive 2. Quadrangle 3. Angles
LP2 / SIDE A –
1. Syncopate 2. Quadrangle 3. Three Bars In One
LP2 / SIDE B –
1. Cry, Want 2. Angles 3. Drive
History of Sickness recorded in 2012 with Chiyo Nukaga Jacobus from Noothgrush and Greg Wilkinson from Brainoil at Earhammer Studios. Exclusive RSD release limited to 1000 copies with etching on "B" side.
"History of Sickness"/Etched B-Side
British guitarist Allan Holdsworth’s 1983 album has only ever been reissued on vinyl as part of a limited edition 12 LP until now. The bonus track on this RSD 2020 release has never been on vinyl before.
SIDE 1: 1. “Three Sheets To The Wind” 2. “Road Games” 3. Water On The Brain”
SIDE 2: 1. “Tokyo Dream” 2. “Was There?” 3. Material Real Bonus Track 4. “Road Games (Alternative Jack Bruce Vocal Version)”
Shooter Jennings’ live show at Bonnaroo 2006 - right after the release of his Electric Rodeo album. Shooter Jennings & the .357’s perform medleys of the hits, as well as some special versions never-before-released.
1. Gone To Carolina / Solid Country Gold 2. Busted In Baylor County 3. Some Rowdy Women 4. Song Is Still Slipping Away / Lonesome Blues 5. Manifesto No. 1 & 2 6. Bad Magick 7. Steady At The Wheel 8. Southern Comfort 9. 4th of July 10. Little White Lines 11. Daddy’s Farm
With his latest EP, Cover Your Tracks, Lund expands on his Western heritage by wearing his more popular and prominent influences on his sleeve. Covering songs from diverse artists such as Lee Hazlewood, Billy Joel, Marty Robbins and AC/DC, Lund expands on not only his favorite songs but on the range, sound and style in which those songs are delivered. Featuring the likes of Ian Tyson and Hayes Carll, Cover Your Tracks is a focused and deliberate collection of classic and unexpected songs, curated by Corb. Released and pressed on 45 RPM 12” opaque blue vinyl.
1. These Boots Are Made for Walkin' 2. The Cover of the Rolling Stone (feat. Hayes Carll) 3. They're Hanging Me Tonight 4. Outlaw Man 5. Ride On (feat. Ian Tyson) 6. Seven Spanish Angels 7. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me 8. I Shall Be Released
PRESSED ON AQUA BLUE COLORED VINYL PACKAGED WITH A DELUXE OBI-STRIP AND INCLUDES A DOWNLOAD CARD FOR THE FULL ALBUM
As Chuck Mosley (ex Faith No More & Bad Brains) embarked on the Reintroduce Yourself Tour, which saw him play around 160 shows during the last two years of his life, he had an idea about releasing a live collection of songs. Part of the point of the tour was to give Chuck a chance to revisit his past, in Cement, VUA, and even some stuff he wrote way back in the day. This release has a mix of those, along with one brand new song, Blue Heart, which he wrote a few months before passing. Quality recordings are scarce and others were sabotaged by off-time clapping, buzzing old amps, and endless stage banter. While we were never polished, never perfect, nor did we get all the lyrics correct, this record is 100% Chuck Mosley, and we think you'll dig it.
1. Sophie (Live in Manchester) 2. Blue Heart (Live in Knoxville) 3. Come Around (Live in Huntsville) 4. Song #2 (Live in Huntsville)
1. Nameless (Live in Manchester) 2. Tractor (Live in London) 3. Bella Donna (Live in London) 4. Bob Forest (Live in London) 5. C to G (Douglas' unapproved hidden track)
A truly special two-sided picture disc featuring imagery unavailable elsewhere - one side features the cover art, and the other, the Aureyal: a symbol representing the unity of the seven Gelfling Clans. The Aureyal presents itself in the visions of various important gelfling characters and is formally identified as "the sigil of great power" by skekGra the Heretic.
Composer Daniel Pemberton reveals: “I wanted the music to be as magical as Thra itself – organic, imperfect, strange, mystical, otherworldly and wonderful. I wanted to create new sounds that felt like they came from the world itself, as well as using thematic large scale orchestral elements to bring an emotion to the journey of the characters.
There are two Dark Crystal picture discs being released for Record Store Day, with completely different track listings.
The 10 episode prequel to the groundbreaking 1982 fan favorite The Dark Crystal stars Taron Egerton, Star Wars’ Mark Hamill, Harry Potter’s Helena Bonham-Carter, Tomb Raider star Alicia Vikander and Outlander’s Caitriona Balfe.
1. Dzenpo! – Daniel Pemberton 2. Remember Your Oath – Samuel Sim 3. Puppet Show – Samuel Sim, Daniel Pemberton 4. Song Of Thra – Daniel Pemberton 5. The Skeksis Arrive – Samuel Sim 6. Outcast – Daniel Pemberton 7. Outside Podling Wayhouse – Daniel Pemberton
1. An Old Story – Daniel Pemberton 2. The Three Brothers Rise – Daniel Pemberton 3. Attack Of The Arathim – Samuel Sim, Daniel Pemberton 4. Our Sister Is Gone – Samuel Sim 5. The Dark Crystal: End Credits – Daniel Pemberton 6. The Dark Crystal: The Age Of Hope – Daniel Pemberton
FIRST TIME EVER RELEASE FOR THE COMPLETE ALTERNATIVE SOUNDTRACK TO THE GROUP’S SEMINAL 2001 VIDEO COLLECTION BRILLIANT STUDIO RE-INTERPRETATIONS OF CLASSIC MATERIAL, INCLUDING ‘HELLO SKINNY’, ‘CONSTANTINOPLE’, ‘THIS IS A MAN’S MAN’S MAN’S WORLD’, THE ‘ONE MINUTE MOVIES’ AND MORE 2LP SET PRESSED ON ORANGE AND YELLOW VINYL AVAILABLE IN LIMITED QUANTITIES WORLDWIDE
Released to mark the turn of the new millennium in 2001, the “Icky Flix” DVD showcased The Residents’ award winning videos in glorious technicolor. To accompany those icky old films, the group also produced brand new recordings of each of the twenty songs, providing an alternate new soundtrack to some otherwise ancient visual material.
Inspired in places, plain ridiculous in others, “Icky Flix – The Original Soundtrack Recording” now brings together those Residential classics in their unedited entirety, as reworked by the group and singer Molly Harvey in the year 2000.
Familiar to fans, enticing to the curious and just too damn weird to everybody else, this is The Residents up to their old tricks again, reworking some of their favourite old tunes in their own style. Whether or not some members of the group ever realised they’d recorded the originals of those tunes in the first place is anybody’s guess.
Available exclusively for Record Store Day 2020, on coloured vinyl and in limited quantities worldwide.
1. ICKY IN?, 2. THE THIRD REICH & ROLL, 3. CONSTANTINOPLE, 4. HELLO SKINNY, 5. KICK A PICNIC, 6. MOISTURE, 7. ACT OF BEING POLITE, 8. PERFECT LOVE, 9. SIMPLE SONG, 10. SONGS FOR SWINGING LARVAE
1. WHERE IS SHE?, 2. VILENESS FATS (CONCENTRATE)
1. THIS IS A MAN'S MAN'S MAN'S WORLD, 2. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, 3. HARRY THE HEAD, 4. JELLY JACK THE BONELESS BOY, 5. THE GINGERBREAD MAN (CONCENTRATE)
1. HE ALSO SERVES, 2. BAD DAY ON THE MIDWAY (CONCENTRATE), 3. JUST FOR YOU (DISFIGURED NIGHT PART 7), 4. BURN BABY BURN, 5. ICKY OUT!
Double-sided 7" picture disc in standard jacket. Side A will feature cover art from Weather Balloons (feat. Frances Cone) and Side B will feature cover art from SUSTO's rendition of "Daniel," the classic Elton John hit.
"Weather Balloons" is a special version of a previously released song from Ever Since I Lost My Mind, featuring vocals from tour mate Christina Cone (aka Frances Cone.) “Sometimes a song can be transformed through live performance with new people. For me, connecting with Christina was like meeting a long-lost musical sister, and when we began performing ‘Weather Balloons’ together on tour, the song was given a new energy that needed to be captured. This new recording is an attempt to capture that magic that happens on stage, between friends.” - SUSTO
On "Daniel," SUSTO present their faithful rendition of the classic Elton John hit, “Daniel.” Originally released by John in 1973, the song reached #2 on the US Pop charts and #1 on the Adult Contemporary charts, and has since gone on to reach Platinum certification by the RIAA. SUSTO front man and lead singer, Justin Osborne, provides the vocals with a sincerity that honors the spirit of the beloved ballad, while the underlying instrumentals provide an effervescent quality, through the use of clever synch tones and instruments as unconventional as beer bottles."
“Weather Balloons (ft. Frances Cone)”/”Daniel”
In 1979, Johnny Thunders, legendary Heartbreakers and New York Dolls guitarist, teamed up with Wayne Kramer, also legendary guitarist of Detroit’s seminal MC5, to form Gang War, an alliance that lasted the best part of a year. Although Gang War released no records and at the time got little attention, in retrospect the collaboration is looked on as a ‘rock fantasy’ supergroup. These live recordings bear testimony to this unique partnership between two renowned rock guitar icons.
Gang War came about shortly after Johnny released his So Alone album, and Wayne was not long out of jail after serving two years of a sentence of four for a coke bust. Arriving in Detroit with the Heartbreakers, Johnny met his teenage idol Wayne who jammed with them at the gig. Johnny stayed on, moving his family to Michigan and pledging his future to Gang War. They toured regularly and recorded a couple of demos with a view to getting a deal, but they couldn’t get record company interest and after eight or nine months they split.
On the recordings, both contribute lead vocals and guitars on Thunders and Dolls tracks such as London Boys, Endless Party and M.I.A.; songs familiar from Kramer and MC5 such as Ramblin’ Rose and Hey Thanks, and fascinating cover versions such as These Boots Are Made For Walking. Together with the between-track repartee they also demonstrate the difference between the two – as Wayne Kramer has said: “Music is important to me and I value the honor, the opportunity, to be an important musician. Johnny, on the other hand didn't consider himself a musician. He considered himself an entertainer.”
First time on vinyl; limited edition on double colored vinyl, with bonus tracks.
Ramblin’ Rose, London Boys, These Boots Are Made For Walking, M.I.A., The Harder They Come, Endless Party, I’d Much Rather Be With The Boys, I’ll Go Crazy, Hey Thanks, The Courageous Cat, Just Because I’m White/Bright Lights Big City, Around And Around, The Harder They Come, Ten Commandments Of Love, Like A Rolling Stone, Endless Party, Do You Love Me? Bonus live at Max's:- London Boys, I’d Much Rather Be With The Boys, Endless Party, Just Because I’m White, Like A Rolling Stone
Kickin presents Hi Tide Groove, DJ's Choice 1969 - 1981, a collection of Hi Records singles from the famous (Al Green and Ann Peebles) to the obscure (Africano and Jean Plum). Released for Record Store Day 2020 on 180g colored vinyl.
1. Larry "T-Byrd" Gordon “Contact Off Funk”, 2. Al Green “Love Ritual”, 3. Ann Peebles “Come To Mama”, 4. Syl Johnson “The Love You Left Behind”, 5. Ann Peebles “Somebody's On Your Case”, 6. O.V. Wright “Into Something (Can't Shake Loose)”, 7. Veneice “Stepchild”, 8. Ann Peebles “Slipped, Tripped and Fell In Love”, 9. Africano “Satisfactorize Your Mind”, 10. Africano “Open Your Hearts Pts. 1&2”, 11. Majik “Back Into Your Heart”, 12. Al Green “Full of Fire”, 13. Bobby McClure “She's Miss Wonderful”, 14. George Jackson “Let Them Know You Care”, 15. Phillip Mitchell “Little Things”, 16. Jean Plum “Look At That Boy”, 17. Ann Peebles “It's Your Thing”, 18. Al Green “Get Back Baby”, 19. Willie Mitchell “My Babe”, 20. Ann Peebles “I Don't Lend My Man”, 21.Iota “Love Come Weekend”, 22. Odyssey “No One Else Pts. 1&2”, 23. Donna Rhodes “Where's Your Love Been”, 24. Jean Plum “Pour On The Loving”, 25. Ann Peebles featuring Don Bryant “Man Belle-Amour”
Mike Watt, legendary bassist behind Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Dos, and so much more, is the latest to release a cover of a Squeeze song for Record Store Day. Mike teams up with his Secondmen for a cover of 'In Quintessence,' the opening track from Squeeze's 1981 album East Side Story. This is the fifth installment from the Swindles series and was produced and engineered by Squeeze-aficionado Steve Mandel. This is the first time Mike's version of "In Quintessence" has ever been released and will be available as a 45 single, with the vocal version on the A-side and the instrumental version on the B-side, for Record Store Day 2020.
SIDE A: In Quintessence SIDE B: In Quintessence (Instrumental)
Würm was formed in 1973 by bass player Chuck Dukowski, who would later join Black Flag. Inspired by the retrospective album, Exhumed, which was released for Black Friday 2018, Würm is now reuniting! They have recorded their first new tracks in nearly 40 years for this Record Store Day exclusive 7" vinyl release.
"Poison" / "Zero Sum"
First vinyl reissue of this landmark 1975 album released on Vanguard Records. Features "Take Yo' Praise," which was sampled in the hit song "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim. All-analog mastering from the original tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, pressed on 180-gram black vinyl and housed in a single tip-on jacket.
SIDE A –
1. But It Comes Out Mad 2. Dream - Panic - Sonny Boy the Rip-Off Man - Little Sally the Super Sex Star (Taking Care of Business) 3. Ain’t It A Lonely Feeling
SIDE B –
1. Take Yo' Praise 2. Can I Get a Witness 3. All Hid
Founder Marie Daulne's mixed cultural roots--Walloon and Bantu (Belgian and Pygmee)--were the stimulus for her musical creation. After studying with the Bantu and in Europe, she organized Zap Mama as an instrument to meld a synthesis of these previously separate traditions. She instantly stood the vocal world on its head by mixing multiple musical styles, performing them with a group of women who created such rhythmic wonder that everyone sat up and took notice. This, their first release, has many tunes with Pygmee yodel and chant, a 16th century Spanish song, a Cuban song, and elements of Syrian songs. It was the first World Music 'hit' selling over 200,000 copies in the US alone. Available for the first time on vinyl. And on magenta splatter color vinyl too!
1. Mupepe 2. Bottom 3. Brrlak! 4. Abadou 5. Take Me Coco 6. Plekete 7. Mizike 8. Babanzele 9. Din Din 10. I Ne Suhe 11. Guzophela 12. Nabombeli Yo 13. Marie-Josee 14. Ndje Mukanie 15. Son Cubano